Image Map

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Clinical Skills Confidence: Language Samples



Time to talk about language samples! 

I like to make sure I take a language sample when I do an assessment. Of course, this is not the ONLY time I take one, but it gives a good representation of a student's strengths and weaknesses, grammar skills, narrative skills, and overall language skills. 

This is where I'm eternally grateful to have an iPad. I can easily grab it to take a recording and go back to it later on. In a pinch, I can use my digital recorder. 

Sometimes, I have students who are not as easily engaged in a conversation. In these cases, I may pull out a book to have him/her narrate a story or watch a short video to help the student start. In an effort to save you some time, I created some language sample prompt cards that you can whip out instead of having to come up with a topic! Grab your free sample HERE. I also have the full product on sale in my TPT store, which you can grab HERE!


Stay tuned for a future Clinical Skills Confidence post where I will write about what I look for in a student's language sample! Let me know what YOU use to get a language sample from your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment