Image Map

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Clinical Skills Confidence: Progress Reports

It's almost that time again for me. End of the quarter = progress reports. This is when I'm glad I do my best to keep my data binder organized, because I usually can grab this and start the daunting task of inputting all my progress reports. Here are my tips:

1. Don't wait until the last minute! This probably doesn't need to be said, who needs the extra stress of knowing you are quickly running out of time? I start thinking about them a few weeks before the quarter ends so I can make sure I grab data on all the goals/objectives. I take data on at least one objective every single session, so that's not too much more work. 

2. Make a list and check it off. I make an excel list of my kids at the beginning of the year with pertinent information like name, DOB, IEP date, disability category, and IEP goals/objectives. It's a lot of work in the beginning of the year, but it saves me time later. I copy and paste the names and print it out. As I'm going through the kids, I check off each name when I do his/her progress report.

3. Try to spread it out over a few days. If I get "in the zone" I can crank out 20 at a time. I try to tell myself "get through X number today and do the rest tomorrow." It's more manageable, plus we all know how tired our eyes get after several hours of staring at the computer screen.

4. Check in with teachers (if possible). They're busy putting in grades too! Most of the time, I'm in contact with teachers at least weekly, but if I've been wondering/concerned about how they're doing in the classroom, it's worth the extra 10 minutes to seek out the teacher to ask. We're coming up on the end of the 2nd quarter, so academic concerns are usually cropping up about this time. 


How do you efficiently manage progress report time? 


No comments:

Post a Comment