Image Map

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Clinical Skills Confidence: Keeping Tabs on E.I.P.


At this time, I'm currently treading water in a sea of evaluations. Sometimes, I'm floating on my back just to get a little break. This is when keeping tabs on E.I.P. becomes crucial for me and if I don't have all my ducks in a row, something can easily slip through the cracks. 

What's E.I.P.? Evaluations In Progress! 

Here's how I do it:

After the meeting where we learn about the student, I compile all notes that I took in a file folder with the student's name and date of birth. I put 2 sticky notes on each file: one with chronological age for easy reference and one with all the steps that I need to take to finish the evaluation, so that I can check it off as I go. As anal as it sounds, it keeps me organized. I also put test forms for the tests I plan to give in the folder, so they're ready to go. These are the steps I usually take:

-evaluation: names of all tests I plan to give since I usually don't finish in one session
-oral motor exam (that can easily be forgotten)
-observation (not always done, but I try to do it)
-language sample: I have my checklist handy for this and I record it
-teacher questionnaire (I give the CELF one)
-write report 
-make copies for cumulative file, my working file, and parent

I usually also have the sticky app on my laptop with who I'm currently evaluating so I can reference it when I'm at home. I try to finish up evaluating and write the report as soon as humanly possible, especially when I'm doing a bunch at a time. Otherwise, I'm liable to forget which kid did what! 

That's my system! How do you keep track of evaluations? 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I like the idea of leaving a sticky note with the C.A. I always end up calculating it several times, duh!

    ReplyDelete