Image Map

Monday, July 7, 2014

What Can A Smile Do?

Graphics from www.graphicsfactory.com and font by Krista Wallden

It struck me the other day while I was waiting for a friend - the power of a smile can be great. I tend to be one of those people who will offer a smile at passersby just because. Not always, but frequently. I think it's one of those things that people have lost a little bit of now that we have smartphones and iPods and such. We spend a lot of time looking down or zoning out with headphones in instead of connecting with the people around us. I am guilty of doing things on my phone sometimes, but I really, really try not to do it all the time.

We teach social skills. We talk about nonverbal language, like facial expressions. There is a lot to discuss and teach to our students who may find it difficult to figure out the nuances of nonverbal language. We should probably take the time to talk about looking at people as you pass and smiling. It can be a way to start a conversation or show that you're approachable and friendly.

I believe that a smile can brighten someone's day. It takes little to no effort on your part to offer someone a smile. Haven't you heard that it takes more muscles to frown that it does to smile? So today while you're out and about, smile at someone. It actually might not have that much of an effect on them, but it just might have a positive one on you!

1 comment: