Image Map

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Clinical Skills Confidence: Language Samples Part 2

Time for Language Samples Part 2!




If you missed Part 1, check it out HERE

I made a language sample checklist that can be used when taking language samples. It is not exhaustive, but should give you a good idea of a student's strengths and weaknesses. Grab it HERE!

While taking a language sample, I am looking for the following:
  • Does the student speak in complete sentences?
  • Are there a lot of grammatical errors?
  • Can I follow what the student is saying?
  • Does the student use age appropriate vocabulary?
  • Are there any stuttering like behaviors?
This is where we have to quiet our SLP tendencies to talk too much! I find it hard sometimes too, especially with a student who is shy or not really saying much more than 1-2 words. Resist the urge to ask too many questions. If you do speak, use open ended comments or questions, such as "I really like to go to amusement parks. I don't like going on roller coasters though." This way, the student will hopefully open up and start a dialogue, rather than just answering your questions with 1 or 2 words. 

What do you use when taking language samples? Tell me below!

No comments:

Post a Comment